My husband and I have become accidental almost-vegetarians. Except for a few pieces of bacon in dishes last week, none of our meals contained any meat. It could be because the last few weeks of recipes have been comprised of essentially side dishes, which isn’t too far off from how I used to operate when I didn’t eat meat years ago — the side dish options at any restaurant were usually my go-to.
We enjoyed this dish for its variety of flavors and textures, as well as the use of turnips — which is not an ingredient we usually gravitate towards. I added a bit more Sriracha to my serving to give it a bit more kick since the hubs is a bit of a wimp when it comes to spice. If you’d prefer to add an animal protein to beef it up (sorry, not sorry), throw in some stir-fried beef or chicken. Tofu would also make a great addition. But, no matter how you make this recipe your own, I’m confident it will be one you (and your family and friends) will enjoy.
STIR-FRIED TURNIPS WITH BACON, PINEAPPLE AND GREENS
Total time: 55 minutes / Serves 4
- 2 chopped thick center-cut bacon slices (we used a more smokey variety from our local market and both agreed the increased smokiness really made the dish)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 cups peeled chopped turnips
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon Bragg’s liquid aminos or lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- Cook chopped thick center-cut bacon slices in a skillet over medium until crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove from skillet; reserve drippings in pan.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add sesame oil, peeled chopped turnips, and chopped scallions. Cook, stirring, until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Uncover; stir in baby spinach, and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in lower-sodium soy sauce, Sriracha chili sauce, chopped fresh pineapple, and reserved bacon. Enjoy!
1 comments on “this week in our kitchen: stir-fried turnips with bacon, pineapple and greens”